To keep our guides free, we're reader supported. That means if you buy something via a link on this page, we might earn a commission. Thanks for that. Learn more
In this guide
Sleepers looking for a firm mattress that combines quality materials, including memory foam and latex, will love the Onebed Original. With flippable firmness levels, it provides a supportive, comfortable sleep that suits all sleeping styles. Effective at minimising partner disturbance, it’s great for co-sleepers.
The Koala mattress will suit side sleepers well (in fact, it’s our pick for the best mattress for side sleepers) because it provides great alignment for side sleepers’ necks and spines. As a side sleeper, Elese loves the supportive softness that’s good for pressure relief. It’s also good at minimising partner disturbance as the foam absorbs pressure well, making it ideal for co-sleepers.
According to thousands of happy Aussie sleepers, the Onebed Original is very good. This quality latex, memory foam, and foam mattress offers customisable firmness from medium through to medium-firm and firm. Known for its support and firmness, the Onebed Original is also great at minimising partner disturbance and sleeping cool.
- The adjustable firmness levels, from medium through to medium-firm and firm.
- The removable, washable cover to keep things smelling sweet.
- Quality materials, including latex and memory foam.
- Thousands of happy Aussie sleepers.
- Lack of details, including shipping and basic stuff like weight.
We rate the Koala mattress better than good - we rate it great. This foam mattress is dreamily soft yet supportive and breathable. We love that it’s really effective at minimising partner disturbance. Koala itself has a top-notch approach to environmental sustainability which is a big tick for us. Oh, and it comes with a little Koala toy. What’s not to love?
- The soft and cosy feel.
- Less deep than other mattresses in a box, so fitted sheets fit easily.
- Customisable firmness level that can be flipped.
- Koala’s commitment to doing good for the planet, people and animals.
- No handles which makes turning and moving it pretty difficult.
- A little hot during Aussie nights, especially in comparison to the Eva mattress which Elese has also tested.
The Onebed Original mattress is an all-foam mattress with 3 layers:
- A 4cm latex top layer for a cool, somewhat bouncy sleep.
- A 4cm memory foam layer for cushioning support that moulds to your body, plus pressure relief.
- A 17cm polyurethane foam layer for a stable, quality support base.
It’s also got a removable, washable polyester cover. All materials in the OneBed Original are certified free of harmful chemicals and other nasties by independent testing organisations.
The Koala mattress is a foam mattress that boasts 3 layers:
- A 7cm comfort layer topped with a breathable Tencel Lyocell fabric that’s 35% Tencell Lyocell and 65% polyester.
- A customisable firmness layer that can be flipped. One side is medium-firm, the other side firm. You can change the firmness by unzipping the mattress and flipping this layer.
- The final support layer that has 3 different support zones to cradle every inch of your weary body and prevent your hips sinking too low.
All the foam is polyurethane foam that’s certified free of formaldehyde and other nasties and is low-VOC (volatile organic compounds).
The Onebed Original comes with a 125-night trial. Onebed asks that you try it for at least 30 nights before returning it. If it’s not right for you, you can email them to arrange a free pick up. Once it’s been picked up, you’ll be fully refunded - within 30 days. Onebed also promises that it’ll be picked up within 30 days. So you could be looking at up to 60 days or around 2 months for your refund to be issued.
You have a 15-year warranty with a Onebed Original. This warranty covers any indentation that’s deeper than 2cm; a flaw that causes the foam or latex to split or crack; and failure of the mattress zipper or tearing of the outer cover. If the cover develops a fault, only the cover is repaired or replaced. The warranty is void if you don’t use a suitable bed base so don’t use the mattress on the floor.
No shipping information is provided beyond it being ‘fast and free’.
The Koala mattress comes with a 120-night free trial which is slightly longer than the average (100 nights). Shipping is free nationwide (apart from weekend delivery which costs $70) and can be same day in metro areas. Outside metro areas, you’re looking at 1-15 business days. They have a delivery checker on their website so you can get a more accurate idea of how long it could take. You might even get a cheerful delivery person who’ll help you tackle the stairs.
The Koala mattress has an industry standard warranty of 10 years.