To keep our guides free, we're reader supported. That means if you buy something via a link on this page, we might earn a commission. Thanks for that. Learn more
In this guide
Sleepers looking for a firm mattress that combines quality materials, including memory foam and latex, will love the Onebed Original. With flippable firmness levels, it provides a supportive, comfortable sleep that suits all sleeping styles. Effective at minimising partner disturbance, it’s great for co-sleepers.
We reckon side sleepers will get a great night’s sleep on the Koala Calm As mattress. With its 5 layers and foam construction, it offers a lot of soft, sinkable support for side sleepers’ necks and spines, helping to keep them in the correct alignment. The Original Koala mattress (the precursor to the Koala mattress) impressed Cosier writer Elese with its minimal partner disturbance and the Calm As mattress, with 2 extra layers, will be even more effective. Co-sleepers, this one’s for you.
According to thousands of happy Aussie sleepers, the Onebed Original is very good. This quality latex, memory foam, and foam mattress offers customisable firmness from medium through to medium-firm and firm. Known for its support and firmness, the Onebed Original is also great at minimising partner disturbance and sleeping cool.
- The adjustable firmness levels, from medium through to medium-firm and firm.
- The removable, washable cover to keep things smelling sweet.
- Quality materials, including latex and memory foam.
- Thousands of happy Aussie sleepers.
- Lack of details, including shipping and basic stuff like weight.
We reckon so. Designed to suit a range of sleepers, but especially good for side sleepers, the Koala Calm As foam mattress is great at providing supportive comfort all night long. It suits Aussie sleepers well, thanks to the attention paid to keeping you cool as you sleep. Partner disturbance is also minimal. Koala itself is a great Aussie company with some really solid eco-credentials.
- The supportive comfortable feel of the mattress.
- Customisable firmness level that can be flipped.
- The attention paid to keeping you cool on hot nights.
- Koala’s environmental and sustainability focus.
- It’s pretty deep at 29cm so check if your fitted sheets will work.
- No handles which makes turning and moving it tricky.
- It’s heavy, weighing up to 51.75kg for the king - those handles really would have come in handy.
The Onebed Original mattress is an all-foam mattress with 3 layers:
- A 4cm latex top layer for a cool, somewhat bouncy sleep.
- A 4cm memory foam layer for cushioning support that moulds to your body, plus pressure relief.
- A 17cm polyurethane foam layer for a stable, quality support base.
It’s also got a removable, washable polyester cover. All materials in the OneBed Original are certified free of harmful chemicals and other nasties by independent testing organisations.
The Koala Calm As mattress is a foam mattress with 5 layers:
- A 7cm polyester sleeping surface and a 1cm quilted cover. This sleeping surface is designed to keep you cool and dry as you sleep.
- Flippable comfort layer which offers you a medium-firm or firm feel.
- A support layer with 3 support zones that are targeted to your important bits, like your back and shoulders. It’s got air tunnels too to help air move freely and avoid that sticky feeling. It’s also designed to spread your weight evenly across the mattress.
- Another support layer, much deeper this time. It’s the firmest core of the mattress and should provide great support for every type of sleeper.
- Edge support to make sure you don’t sink when you perch on the end to put your socks on.
All the foam is polyurethane foam that’s certified free of formaldehyde and other nasties and is low-VOC (volatile organic compounds).
The Onebed Original comes with a 125-night trial. Onebed asks that you try it for at least 30 nights before returning it. If it’s not right for you, you can email them to arrange a free pick up. Once it’s been picked up, you’ll be fully refunded - within 30 days. Onebed also promises that it’ll be picked up within 30 days. So you could be looking at up to 60 days or around 2 months for your refund to be issued.
You have a 15-year warranty with a Onebed Original. This warranty covers any indentation that’s deeper than 2cm; a flaw that causes the foam or latex to split or crack; and failure of the mattress zipper or tearing of the outer cover. If the cover develops a fault, only the cover is repaired or replaced. The warranty is void if you don’t use a suitable bed base so don’t use the mattress on the floor.
No shipping information is provided beyond it being ‘fast and free’.
With the average free trial period being 100 nights, Koala beats it by offering 120 nights. Koala will only pick up the mattress for free in most areas of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. If you’re outside these areas, you’ll need to bring it to the nearest Koala warehouse - ouch. Although they promise a full refund, note that delivery fees are non-refundable.
Koala ships for free nationwide, although they do offer weekend delivery for $70. Delivery can be same day in metro areas. Outside metro areas, you’re looking at 1-15 business days. They have a delivery checker on their website so you can get a more accurate idea of how long it could take.
The Koala Calm As mattress has an industry standard warranty of 10 years that covers any physical damage and defects in the materials and workmanship. It doesn’t cover normal wear and tear, which includes ‘softening of the product that does not affect performance’. This sounds a little subjective to us as your idea of your mattress becoming too soft they might argue isn’t performance related.