To keep our guides free, we're reader supported. That means if you buy something via a link on this page, we might earn a commission. Thanks for that. Learn more
In this guide
The Koala mattress will suit side sleepers well (in fact, it’s our pick for the best mattress for side sleepers) because it provides great alignment for side sleepers’ necks and spines. As a side sleeper, Elese loves the supportive softness that’s good for pressure relief. It’s also good at minimising partner disturbance as the foam absorbs pressure well, making it ideal for co-sleepers.
Sleepers who want to adjust their firmness level between medium and firm will love the Ecosa mattress, as will anyone who wants the support of memory foam. With its lack of partner disturbance, it’s good for co-sleepers and the midrange price makes it a good guest or child option.
We rate the Koala mattress better than good - we rate it great. This foam mattress is dreamily soft yet supportive and breathable. We love that it’s really effective at minimising partner disturbance. Koala itself has a top-notch approach to environmental sustainability which is a big tick for us. Oh, and it comes with a little Koala toy. What’s not to love?
- The soft and cosy feel.
- Less deep than other mattresses in a box, so fitted sheets fit easily.
- Customisable firmness level that can be flipped.
- Koala’s commitment to doing good for the planet, people and animals.
- No handles which makes turning and moving it pretty difficult.
- A little hot during Aussie nights, especially in comparison to the Eva mattress which Elese has also tested.
The Ecosa mattress is a great mattress in a box. This is especially because of the customisation it offers. With flippable firmness layers, you can choose whether it feels medium, medium-firm or firm. It’s also got a waterproof and dust mite resistant cover that you can remove and wash for easy care. Plus, Ecosa gets bonus points for being Australia’s first certified carbon neutral mattress company.
- Wide range of sizes, from single all the way up to super king.
- Flippable firmness layers so you can choose from anywhere from medium to firm.
- Proudly Aussie company that’s certified carbon neutral.
- Removable and washable cover.
- No handles (although the Ecosa mattress doesn’t need rotating or flipping).
- Some sleepers find it too firm, even on the medium feel.
- Returns can be hit and miss.
The Koala mattress is a foam mattress that boasts 3 layers:
- A 7cm comfort layer topped with a breathable Tencel Lyocell fabric that’s 35% Tencell Lyocell and 65% polyester.
- A customisable firmness layer that can be flipped. One side is medium-firm, the other side firm. You can change the firmness by unzipping the mattress and flipping this layer.
- The final support layer that has 3 different support zones to cradle every inch of your weary body and prevent your hips sinking too low.
All the foam is polyurethane foam that’s certified free of formaldehyde and other nasties and is low-VOC (volatile organic compounds).
The Ecosa mattress is an all foam mattress, with 3 layers:
- G-7 gel memory foam that’s designed to be supportive and cooling.
- ECO-Tex memory foam with an open cell design for breathability.
- Ergonomic support foam for correct spinal alignment and to reduce partner movements.
The Ecosa mattress has an inner cover that’s waterproof and also helps keep out dust mites. All these layers are encased in a removable, washable cover that’s 40% Tencel and 60% poly.
All the materials in the Ecosa mattress, including the foams and covers, are certified free of harmful chemicals and other nasties.
The Koala mattress comes with a 120-night free trial which is slightly longer than the average (100 nights). Shipping is free nationwide (apart from weekend delivery which costs $70) and can be same day in metro areas. Outside metro areas, you’re looking at 1-15 business days. They have a delivery checker on their website so you can get a more accurate idea of how long it could take. You might even get a cheerful delivery person who’ll help you tackle the stairs.
The Koala mattress has an industry standard warranty of 10 years.
You can try the Ecosa mattress for 100 nights. You do need to try it for a minimum of 14 nights before returning it. To arrange a return, you contact Ecosa via email, online chat or online form. Ecosa will then arrange a free pick up for you, through their charitable partners, like The Salvation Army. This can take up to 10 business days.
If you live outside cities, returns are a little trickier and Ecosa may ask you to return the mattress to your local pick up spot, at your own cost and time. Once the mattress has been picked up or dropped off, Ecosa will process your full refund. There are a few recent customers who have struggled with the returns process. Mainly this is long pick up times and being unable to get in touch with the Ecosa customer service team.
The Ecosa mattress comes with a 15-year warranty which covers visible dents that are deeper than 2cm; split or cracked foam; or a manufacturing defect of the cover. Ecosa is keen to promote that this mattress can sit happily on any firm, flat surface, including the floor.
But they do also point out that you need to stand the mattress regularly to breathe and ideally air and vacuum the area beneath the mattress. That’s because they won’t accept returns or warranty claims for mould or mould-related problems. This is much better the Noa mattress warranty that’s void if you don’t use a bed frame, although they state the mattresses can be used on the floor.
Like most mattresses in a box brands, Ecosa seems to be struggling with deliveries lately with lots of complaints about deliveries not turning up when they’re supposed to.