To keep our guides free, we're reader supported. That means if you buy something via a link on this page, we might earn a commission. Thanks for that. Learn more
In this guide
We reckon side sleepers will get a great night’s sleep on the Koala Calm As mattress. With its 5 layers and foam construction, it offers a lot of soft, sinkable support for side sleepers’ necks and spines, helping to keep them in the correct alignment. The Original Koala mattress (the precursor to the Koala mattress) impressed Cosier writer Elese with its minimal partner disturbance and the Calm As mattress, with 2 extra layers, will be even more effective. Co-sleepers, this one’s for you.
Sleepers who want to adjust their firmness level between medium and firm will love the Ecosa mattress, as will anyone who wants the support of memory foam. With its lack of partner disturbance, it’s good for co-sleepers and the midrange price makes it a good guest or child option.
We reckon so. Designed to suit a range of sleepers, but especially good for side sleepers, the Koala Calm As foam mattress is great at providing supportive comfort all night long. It suits Aussie sleepers well, thanks to the attention paid to keeping you cool as you sleep. Partner disturbance is also minimal. Koala itself is a great Aussie company with some really solid eco-credentials.
- The supportive comfortable feel of the mattress.
- Customisable firmness level that can be flipped.
- The attention paid to keeping you cool on hot nights.
- Koala’s environmental and sustainability focus.
- It’s pretty deep at 29cm so check if your fitted sheets will work.
- No handles which makes turning and moving it tricky.
- It’s heavy, weighing up to 51.75kg for the king - those handles really would have come in handy.
The Ecosa mattress is a great mattress in a box. This is especially because of the customisation it offers. With flippable firmness layers, you can choose whether it feels medium, medium-firm or firm. It’s also got a waterproof and dust mite resistant cover that you can remove and wash for easy care. Plus, Ecosa gets bonus points for being Australia’s first certified carbon neutral mattress company.
- Wide range of sizes, from single all the way up to super king.
- Flippable firmness layers so you can choose from anywhere from medium to firm.
- Proudly Aussie company that’s certified carbon neutral.
- Removable and washable cover.
- No handles (although the Ecosa mattress doesn’t need rotating or flipping).
- Some sleepers find it too firm, even on the medium feel.
- Returns can be hit and miss.
The Koala Calm As mattress is a foam mattress with 5 layers:
- A 7cm polyester sleeping surface and a 1cm quilted cover. This sleeping surface is designed to keep you cool and dry as you sleep.
- Flippable comfort layer which offers you a medium-firm or firm feel.
- A support layer with 3 support zones that are targeted to your important bits, like your back and shoulders. It’s got air tunnels too to help air move freely and avoid that sticky feeling. It’s also designed to spread your weight evenly across the mattress.
- Another support layer, much deeper this time. It’s the firmest core of the mattress and should provide great support for every type of sleeper.
- Edge support to make sure you don’t sink when you perch on the end to put your socks on.
All the foam is polyurethane foam that’s certified free of formaldehyde and other nasties and is low-VOC (volatile organic compounds).
The Ecosa mattress is an all foam mattress, with 3 layers:
- G-7 gel memory foam that’s designed to be supportive and cooling.
- ECO-Tex memory foam with an open cell design for breathability.
- Ergonomic support foam for correct spinal alignment and to reduce partner movements.
The Ecosa mattress has an inner cover that’s waterproof and also helps keep out dust mites. All these layers are encased in a removable, washable cover that’s 40% Tencel and 60% poly.
All the materials in the Ecosa mattress, including the foams and covers, are certified free of harmful chemicals and other nasties.
With the average free trial period being 100 nights, Koala beats it by offering 120 nights. Koala will only pick up the mattress for free in most areas of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. If you’re outside these areas, you’ll need to bring it to the nearest Koala warehouse - ouch. Although they promise a full refund, note that delivery fees are non-refundable.
Koala ships for free nationwide, although they do offer weekend delivery for $70. Delivery can be same day in metro areas. Outside metro areas, you’re looking at 1-15 business days. They have a delivery checker on their website so you can get a more accurate idea of how long it could take.
The Koala Calm As mattress has an industry standard warranty of 10 years that covers any physical damage and defects in the materials and workmanship. It doesn’t cover normal wear and tear, which includes ‘softening of the product that does not affect performance’. This sounds a little subjective to us as your idea of your mattress becoming too soft they might argue isn’t performance related.
You can try the Ecosa mattress for 100 nights. You do need to try it for a minimum of 14 nights before returning it. To arrange a return, you contact Ecosa via email, online chat or online form. Ecosa will then arrange a free pick up for you, through their charitable partners, like The Salvation Army. This can take up to 10 business days.
If you live outside cities, returns are a little trickier and Ecosa may ask you to return the mattress to your local pick up spot, at your own cost and time. Once the mattress has been picked up or dropped off, Ecosa will process your full refund. There are a few recent customers who have struggled with the returns process. Mainly this is long pick up times and being unable to get in touch with the Ecosa customer service team.
The Ecosa mattress comes with a 15-year warranty which covers visible dents that are deeper than 2cm; split or cracked foam; or a manufacturing defect of the cover. Ecosa is keen to promote that this mattress can sit happily on any firm, flat surface, including the floor.
But they do also point out that you need to stand the mattress regularly to breathe and ideally air and vacuum the area beneath the mattress. That’s because they won’t accept returns or warranty claims for mould or mould-related problems. This is much better the Noa mattress warranty that’s void if you don’t use a bed frame, although they state the mattresses can be used on the floor.
Like most mattresses in a box brands, Ecosa seems to be struggling with deliveries lately with lots of complaints about deliveries not turning up when they’re supposed to.