To keep our guides free, we're reader supported. That means if you buy something via a link on this page, we might earn a commission. Thanks for that. Learn more
In this guide
We reckon side sleepers will get a great night’s sleep on the Koala Calm As mattress. With its 5 layers and foam construction, it offers a lot of soft, sinkable support for side sleepers’ necks and spines, helping to keep them in the correct alignment. The Original Koala mattress (the precursor to the Koala mattress) impressed Cosier writer Elese with its minimal partner disturbance and the Calm As mattress, with 2 extra layers, will be even more effective. Co-sleepers, this one’s for you.
We reckon side sleepers and back sleepers will enjoy the firm, supportive feel of the Eva mattress. Thanks to its minimal partner disturbance, it’s ideal for people who share a bed. Its breathability and coolness impressed us too, so it’s great for hot sleepers.
We reckon so. Designed to suit a range of sleepers, but especially good for side sleepers, the Koala Calm As foam mattress is great at providing supportive comfort all night long. It suits Aussie sleepers well, thanks to the attention paid to keeping you cool as you sleep. Partner disturbance is also minimal. Koala itself is a great Aussie company with some really solid eco-credentials.
- The supportive comfortable feel of the mattress.
- Customisable firmness level that can be flipped.
- The attention paid to keeping you cool on hot nights.
- Koala’s environmental and sustainability focus.
- It’s pretty deep at 29cm so check if your fitted sheets will work.
- No handles which makes turning and moving it tricky.
- It’s heavy, weighing up to 51.75kg for the king - those handles really would have come in handy.
We reckon so. We rate its great combination of quality materials. As a hybrid mattress, it’s packing latex, gel memory foam and pocket springs. This trio gives great support and comfort and reduces partner disturbance. It also helps keep the Eva mattress cool and breathable. Which - as anyone who’s ever sweated through a hot Aussie night knows - is super important.
Add to this quick delivery, wheels on the box to easily move it around, handles to easily turn it and a medium-soft feel, and you’ve got one of the best value mattresses we’ve ever slept on.
- Hybrid construction that makes it oh-so-comfortable and supportive.
- Super-breathable and cool thanks to the pocket springs that allow air to circulate.
- Minimal partner disturbance.
- Longer than standard trial period and warranty.
- Transparency around their manufacturers.
- The metres and metres of soft plastic that Eva vacuum-seals mattresses in.
- Tendency to feel a little like you’re rolling into the middle.
- Heavy, with a queen weighing 55kg.
The Koala Calm As mattress is a foam mattress with 5 layers:
- A 7cm polyester sleeping surface and a 1cm quilted cover. This sleeping surface is designed to keep you cool and dry as you sleep.
- Flippable comfort layer which offers you a medium-firm or firm feel.
- A support layer with 3 support zones that are targeted to your important bits, like your back and shoulders. It’s got air tunnels too to help air move freely and avoid that sticky feeling. It’s also designed to spread your weight evenly across the mattress.
- Another support layer, much deeper this time. It’s the firmest core of the mattress and should provide great support for every type of sleeper.
- Edge support to make sure you don’t sink when you perch on the end to put your socks on.
All the foam is polyurethane foam that’s certified free of formaldehyde and other nasties and is low-VOC (volatile organic compounds).
The Eva mattress is a hybrid mattress, which means it’s got both foam and pocket springs. Its 4 layers consist of:
- Gel memory foam for cooling and pressure relief.
- Latex foam for breathability and support.
- High density foam for firmness.
- 5 zone pocket springs to minimise partner disturbance. Plus extra springs along the side pockets gives edge support so you don’t slip off when putting your socks on.
With the average free trial period being 100 nights, Koala beats it by offering 120 nights. Koala will only pick up the mattress for free in most areas of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. If you’re outside these areas, you’ll need to bring it to the nearest Koala warehouse - ouch. Although they promise a full refund, note that delivery fees are non-refundable.
Koala ships for free nationwide, although they do offer weekend delivery for $70. Delivery can be same day in metro areas. Outside metro areas, you’re looking at 1-15 business days. They have a delivery checker on their website so you can get a more accurate idea of how long it could take.
The Koala Calm As mattress has an industry standard warranty of 10 years that covers any physical damage and defects in the materials and workmanship. It doesn’t cover normal wear and tear, which includes ‘softening of the product that does not affect performance’. This sounds a little subjective to us as your idea of your mattress becoming too soft they might argue isn’t performance related.
The Eva mattress comes with a whopping standard free trial of 365 nights. Shipping is fairly standard too, with next-day metro delivery. Non-metro areas will take between 1-8 business days. Wherever you are in Australia, shipping is free.
Oh, and they’ll only deliver to your door, not inside your home. If you live in an apartment complex or have lots of stairs, you might want to rope someone in to help.
The Eva mattress warranty is better than standard (10 years). Instead, it comes with a 12-year warranty. Which is even more impressive when you consider you’re paying less than a grand for even the largest size.