To keep our guides free, we're reader supported. That means if you buy something via a link on this page, we might earn a commission. Thanks for that. Learn more
In this guide
The Koala mattress will suit side sleepers well (in fact, it’s our pick for the best mattress for side sleepers) because it provides great alignment for side sleepers’ necks and spines. As a side sleeper, Elese loves the supportive softness that’s good for pressure relief. It’s also good at minimising partner disturbance as the foam absorbs pressure well, making it ideal for co-sleepers.
We reckon side sleepers and back sleepers will enjoy the firm, supportive feel of the Eva mattress. Thanks to its minimal partner disturbance, it’s ideal for people who share a bed. Its breathability and coolness impressed us too, so it’s great for hot sleepers.
We rate the Koala mattress better than good - we rate it great. This foam mattress is dreamily soft yet supportive and breathable. We love that it’s really effective at minimising partner disturbance. Koala itself has a top-notch approach to environmental sustainability which is a big tick for us. Oh, and it comes with a little Koala toy. What’s not to love?
- The soft and cosy feel.
- Less deep than other mattresses in a box, so fitted sheets fit easily.
- Customisable firmness level that can be flipped.
- Koala’s commitment to doing good for the planet, people and animals.
- No handles which makes turning and moving it pretty difficult.
- A little hot during Aussie nights, especially in comparison to the Eva mattress which Elese has also tested.
We reckon so. We rate its great combination of quality materials. As a hybrid mattress, it’s packing latex, gel memory foam and pocket springs. This trio gives great support and comfort and reduces partner disturbance. It also helps keep the Eva mattress cool and breathable. Which - as anyone who’s ever sweated through a hot Aussie night knows - is super important.
Add to this quick delivery, wheels on the box to easily move it around, handles to easily turn it and a medium-soft feel, and you’ve got one of the best value mattresses we’ve ever slept on.
- Hybrid construction that makes it oh-so-comfortable and supportive.
- Super-breathable and cool thanks to the pocket springs that allow air to circulate.
- Minimal partner disturbance.
- Longer than standard trial period and warranty.
- Transparency around their manufacturers.
- The metres and metres of soft plastic that Eva vacuum-seals mattresses in.
- Tendency to feel a little like you’re rolling into the middle.
- Heavy, with a queen weighing 55kg.
The Koala mattress is a foam mattress that boasts 3 layers:
- A 7cm comfort layer topped with a breathable Tencel Lyocell fabric that’s 35% Tencell Lyocell and 65% polyester.
- A customisable firmness layer that can be flipped. One side is medium-firm, the other side firm. You can change the firmness by unzipping the mattress and flipping this layer.
- The final support layer that has 3 different support zones to cradle every inch of your weary body and prevent your hips sinking too low.
All the foam is polyurethane foam that’s certified free of formaldehyde and other nasties and is low-VOC (volatile organic compounds).
The Eva mattress is a hybrid mattress, which means it’s got both foam and pocket springs. Its 4 layers consist of:
- Gel memory foam for cooling and pressure relief.
- Latex foam for breathability and support.
- High density foam for firmness.
- 5 zone pocket springs to minimise partner disturbance. Plus extra springs along the side pockets gives edge support so you don’t slip off when putting your socks on.
The Koala mattress comes with a 120-night free trial which is slightly longer than the average (100 nights). Shipping is free nationwide (apart from weekend delivery which costs $70) and can be same day in metro areas. Outside metro areas, you’re looking at 1-15 business days. They have a delivery checker on their website so you can get a more accurate idea of how long it could take. You might even get a cheerful delivery person who’ll help you tackle the stairs.
The Koala mattress has an industry standard warranty of 10 years.
The Eva mattress comes with a whopping standard free trial of 365 nights. Shipping is fairly standard too, with next-day metro delivery. Non-metro areas will take between 1-8 business days. Wherever you are in Australia, shipping is free.
Oh, and they’ll only deliver to your door, not inside your home. If you live in an apartment complex or have lots of stairs, you might want to rope someone in to help.
The Eva mattress warranty is better than standard (10 years). Instead, it comes with a 12-year warranty. Which is even more impressive when you consider you’re paying less than a grand for even the largest size.